Tuesday, March 8, 2016

An Anchor to the Souls of Men

Hi All:

It feels like the weeks keep going faster and faster. It's not fair. :( Haha. But that's life. I keeps going. Even when we don't want it to. But besides the fact of it being a fast week, it was a good one. Tuesday started out with a trip to Laguna Seca, another part of Corrientes about 40 minutes in bus from where we live in the city to teach a woman who had come to church in Costanera last week named Dora. She asked us to come visit her because she wanted to talk to Hermanas and there's only two of those in Corrientes. We had a nice lesson with her but by the time we were ready to leave, the Argentine rains had come. And when the rains come, they come hard. It always reminds me of Jurassic Park when that first storm comes and all the dino's escape. That's what it's like here... unfortunately minus the dinosaurs. But we hadn't been expecting the rain so we were stranded in Laguna Seca without umbrellas, coats, boots, or even plastic bags to put our scriptures in. Luckily, Dora and her husband had a few extra Jurassic Park ponchos on hand and we were able to wade the few blocks out to the bus stop. Hermana Alduenda was embarrassed by her bright orange poncho. So naturally we took a photo.
Hna. Alduenda and I in our ponchos after the storm.
 Last week, we contacted a house on a street we frequently walk down and found Manuel. He said he'd talked to missionaries before but I think they maybe just greeted him in the street or something because he didn't have a Book of Mormon. But he was really nice and allowed us to share our message. He was attentive and receptive. He liked what we shared. And when we walked past his house later in the day, he was sitting outside in his lawn chair reading the pamphlet we'd left him. The first time we invited him to church, he said it would be hard for him to go because he didn't want to leave his house unattended. (people get robbed frequently here.) But in a later visit, he explained his real doubt: "I don't have a suit." he said. He had seen the pictures of church in the pamphlets we'd given him and was worried that the members would judge him for coming to church in jeans and tennis shoes. But we assured him that wasn't the case and he committed to come. And sure enough, Manuel showed up at the church 10 minutes before Sacrament meeting started. And it was a great Sacrament meeting. (Minus Hermana Hein's terrible piano playing...) The testimonies shared were simple and heartfelt and the spirit filled the room. Manuel listened attentively to every one. Including Claudio's. ;) What a champ.  Needless to say, it was a great Sunday.

Under the bridge of Corrientes. A little Inceptiony?
No Leo DiCaprio though... shame
Speaking of testimony, we sometimes wonder what that means. It's simple. A testimony is a declaration of what we believe to be true. It doesn't have to be long or complicated. All it has to be is sincere. And as Ether says, a belief in God brings a hope for a better world. (Ether 12:4) And it's true. As I've nurtured my own testimony here on the mission, I DO believe in a better world. I have that hope. Because I've seen the changes that people can make as they put in practice the teachings of Jesus Christ. I've seen it because I've lived it. And I'm so grateful for it. I love the Lord and everything He's done for me. I love the Gospel and what it's taught me about who I am and what's expected of me. We don't need to be moved by the crazy waves this world brings everyday. We just need to believe.
And some good wall art I found and replicated. Haha. 


I love you all and hope you have a great week.
Hermana Hein

No comments:

Post a Comment