Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Just a Song Before I Go...

I don't really know what to say. I honestly didn't think I would ever come to this day. But, the time passes for everyone, even me. And as much as I didn't want it to come, here we are. It's hard to have to end the mission. It was the best thing I ever could have decided to do. I love Argentina and the people I've come to know here. And I'm grateful to the Lord for every miracle, every blessing, trial, disappointment, and every opportunity to learn, which, if you add it all up, is basically every second of everyday of these last 18 months. Needless to say, I've learned a lot of lessons here on the mission, all of which are priceless.
From this first day....
Perhaps the most important of all the lessons I learned, was that of the reality of the Atonement. When I first arrived in Formosa, November 2014, I quickly discovered that I had miscalculated just how much I would be walking and what type of shoes I would need. And I paid the price for that miscalculation. My feet were covered, literally covered, in painful blisters and cuts. Also, for whatever reason, my feet began to blow up like a pregnant woman. I could hardly walk it hurt so bad. But one must walk as a missionary. And with every step I took, I offered another prayer, asking for strength to keep walking. Every night and every morning, I prayed that my feet would callous over. Then there was the fact that the amount of Spanish I spoke was exactly zero. I felt so helpless; so lost. "What am I doing in Argentina?" I asked myself. "I'm not contributing to anything." Again, I prayed. I prayed to be able to talk to SOMEONE. And in answer to those prayers, I received a simple answer. "I'm here. Don't give up." And somehow, each day, I was able to find the strength to keep walking. Something I've come to learn about the Atonement is that Christ will not take our pains and suffering away, rather He will strengthen us to be able to face them and become stronger. And He did just that those first 2 transfers.

Another lesson I learned is the importance of obedience. Not just to commandments or mission rules, but to the promptings of the Spirit. I found a quote this week from President Monsen from his address to the Priesthood in the April 2012 Conference. "When God speaks and a man obeys, that man will always be right." And as scary as it is sometimes to talk to people on the street or the bus, we always receive blessings for acting on those promptings. I can't even number the times the Lord fulfilled a promise for fulfilling my end. And in regards to obedience to mission rules, Hna. Ostler and I had put specific emphasis in exact obedience to every mission rule when we found Claudio. Sometimes it's a sacrifice to deny a glass of ice cold water in the 120 degree summer heat, but the blessings of heaven are poured on all those who are willing to sacrifice for the Lord and His work.

This past week, Hna. Alduenda and I had the chance to attend the baptism of a woman we taught a couple of times in another part of Corrientes. It was a really simple service, but it taught me another lesson. It's not about me. It never was. And it never will be. The scriptures teach us that without charity, we're nothing. But what is charity? The pure love of Christ. How did Christ love? Selflessly. Everything Christ did was for someone else. He never did anything for Himself. Everything I've learned in the mission, is to help other people come unto Christ through His Gospel.
To experiences like this...
I know the church is true. I know this is where we can learn what the Gospel is and how to apply it in our lives. I know that Christ lives. I know that His Atonement is infinite and real. I know that the power of God has been restored to the Earth through the prophet Joseph Smith. I know that the church is led by living prophets and apostles today. I know families can be forever. This is a Gospel of happiness and I know that it brings happiness to all who live it.

I want to thank everyone who read this silly blog and supported me on this crazy adventure. All the prayers and love sent down this way have been felt and appreciated. I love you all so much.

Con mucho amor,
Hermana Hein


 

No comments:

Post a Comment