Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Always Darkest Before the Dawn

Oh hey friends.

Tanto tiempo... Not really. Just one week. But a lot has happened this week. Firstly, you're probably wondering why I used such a dismal Dark Knight quote for my subject this week... well... Here's the story:

Laura and Federico... Yeah. They were doing so good last week, trying so hard to stop smoking. And what happened last Sunday? They smoke. ONE CIGARETTE. Unfortunately, one cigarette is one too many, and we had to tell them that they couldn't get baptized this weekend. Then things took a little turn for the worse: Laura got angry. She told us that she feels like we're punishing her even though she's trying so hard to do what we've asked her. "I don't want to get baptized anymore. I feel like you're just going to keep telling me I can't get baptized for every little mistake I make. I'm sorry I'm not perfect like you." Whew. It was rough. Like a wooden stake to the heart. We tried telling her that we're not perfect, and that the church isn't for perfect people. But she wouldn't believe us. Laura still likes the church. She told us that she wants to keep going to church and wants for us to keep visiting them. She just doesn't want the pressure of a baptismal date. "I'm going to try to stop smoking on my own and then we'll see how I feel." *sigh* It's frustrating. But as we learned in Conference, "If things are going great for you now, just wait..."

All of this mess happened Wednesday. Friday, we were blessed with the opportunity to go to Resistencia for a mission conference with the one and only ELDER DALLIN H. OAKS!! It was amazing. For so many reasons. We were able to talk with old friends long lost to transfers. Like Nakken! Yeah. She's super blonde. But it was so good to see her. Also, mission conf. was so great because... oh yeah. Elder Oaks. Ugh. He's the coolest guy. So sweet and funny and spiritual. Not to mention he said exactly what Hermana Dustin and I needed to hear after the Laura incident: "It's not likely that you will baptize thousands of people. What you WILL do is bring thousands of people unto repentance."
On the bus with Hermana Dustin

Mission Conference with Hermana Nakken
No. Laura and Federico didn't get baptized this weekend. But you know what they DID do? They got married. The Gospel has changed them, whether they can see that or not. And the defenition of repentance is CHANGE. Even though we weren't able to put a '2' in our planner next to "Investigators baptized this week", I can say that we made a difference in their lives. And we're not done. They WILL be baptized one day. All we can do now, is keep loving them. And one day, they'll see the difference that I see.

This weekend, I realized just how much I love being a missionary. And how scared of time I am. I have less than a year left to be a missionary. That's not enough time. This Gospel is TRUE. I see the difference it makes in life EVERYDAY. I will not deny what I know, and I know that God loves each and everyone of us. After the Sunday conference with Elder Oaks, I wanted to get on the roof and shout. Everything came into focus for me this week, and I want everyone to see what I see, because it's amazing.

CuĂ­dense mucho,
Hermana Hein

No comments:

Post a Comment