Monday, March 9, 2015

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Well... This week was... interesting. I'm not joking when I say that this week was probably one of the most eventful weeks of the mission thus far... Unfortunately, not eventful in the 'we had 4 baptisms!' way. Let me just explain.

Monday was pretty normal. After P-Day ended at 6:30, we had a lesson with this man named Leoncio. At first, he was really cynical. He kept asking us what it was we had to offer and why it was important. Hermana Dustin was getting really frustrated because this crusty old man was telling her she needed to learn Spanish better and talk more. Finally, she shut him up by bearing her testimony of the Book of Mormon. "This book changed my life." She said. "Why?" he asked. "My life isn't easy. But when I have hard times, I KNOW I can turn to the Book of Mormon and find something to help me." Silence echoed in the room for a few moments until the man responded quietly, "Really?" And from there, Leoncio was much more open to hearing what we had to say. All you have to do is speak the things the spirit puts into your heart and he'll do the rest. I was really proud of Hermana Dustin.

Tuesday, things took a turn for the annoying. As we went to leave our apartment in the morning to go work, we found the door wouldn't open. No matter what we tried, we could NOT get the key to turn. We were locked inside our apartment! I jumped out the window and tried from outside. Nothing. The members we live with are remodeling their house and luckily, their contractor had just pulled up in our time of need. I asked him to help us open the door. But even the big burly contractor couldn't turn the key. "I'm going to have to break the door down." He mumbled under his breath before THROWING HIMSELF AGAINST THE DOOR, TRYING (in vain) TO BREAK IT DOWN. Sorry friend, but this isn't a movie. I don't think your shoulder is going to break the thick, wooden door down... So he got a sledgehammer and smashed it down. But then we had a different problem. Now we couldn't close the door. Great. So we had to stay home all morning. Ugh.
remnants of our door after homeboy smashed it down
Finally, the members we live with came home and assurred us that they would make sure nobody stole our stuff while we went to District Meeting. But during District Meeting, it started raining. And our pensión still floods a little. Not to mention the fact that now, we don't have a functioning door. Well good. But the Familia Lezcano, the members we live with, are literally the best people and made sure that our pensión was all good. But still, the rain continued all evening. Until several streets turned right into rivers. That was fun. We had a rough time finding anyone to teach at that point because Argentines are all scared of the rain. But on our way home that night, we were stopped by a young man named Nicholas who told us he wanted to change his life. He was clearly drunk out of his mind and told me he wanted to marry a gringa. Huh. Good luck with that one friend. And he also tried to kiss me. Sorry pal. Not happening. But we wrote down his address and planned to see him again.

Saturday we met a crazy man who had invented his own religion based on planes and trucks. It was OUTTA CONTROL. Firstly, when I asked him what his name was, he told me he had seven. Oh. Okay. He then started to explain his beliefs. We tried to be kind and understanding but as he continued talking about how God was actually an airplane, I just couldn't handle it. He had this whole philosophy about it and all these papers with pictures cut out from magazines and mathematical equations and something about a package of cookies and you know, I STILL have no idea what he was talking about. Finally, we were able to share our BRIEF testimonies, give him a pamphlet with the church's address, and bounce right out of there. It was straight crazy. Bless his heart.

Morning studies
I wish this email would do justice to the crazy week we had, because re-reading this, it really doesn't seem that weird. But it was. Hector this week basically told us that he doesn't want faith but knowledge. He wants to know everything. It was like a stake in the heart. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want to drop him. He's such a cool guy and has so much potential. But right now, I'm not sure he's going to progress. The mission hurts sometimes. It sucks when you find someone and you want the best for them because you love them, but they don't understand. But you just have to keep going. You have to keep praying and keep working and keep loving. Because if you stop loving the people you're serving, you aren't serving them at all.

One of my goals for this year is to be more charitable. Have more Christlike love for those I'm serving. The Spirit won't dwell with anyone that doesn't have charity, and I can't teach without the Spirit.

I have a testimony of this work and of this Gospel. I know this is the Lord's church on Earth and He is directing it. This is His work. The mission is inspired of God. I wouldn't still be here if it wasn't. I'm so grateful to my Heavenly Father for this experience and this opportunity to serve and grow here in Argentina. I love this work. Even when it's hard. Thanks for all the support and love. I'm always sending mine up north too!

Lots of Love,
Hermana Hein

Pics: Morning studies. (sometimes we're a little outta control) Also, the

No comments:

Post a Comment